Saturday, October 31, 2009

Follow the Blog

Hello Folks,

Thanks for visiting! Don't forget to click "follow" under participants on the right hand side of the page so you can receive automatic updates when new posts are made.

I have heard from many people who want to participate, but haven't signed up to follow.

Also, we have got some great discussions going in the comment sections below each post, so don't forget to check those out as well...

Next, I would love for each of you to respond with a comment to this particular post. Please tell us of one experience in the school setting, or in the context of education, in which you felt a disservice was being done to you or someone you know. Identify what you think was wrong with your scenario, and offer a solution as to how we could fix it. I think it is important to begin the debate from a place we can all relate to, our own experiences.

Here's one for me: I was a straight A student from ninth grade all through college. Always "a pleasure to have in class". I would even venture to say that many people believed me to be quite intelligent. I soared through college with flying colors, and received letters of recommendation, scholarships, and even private compliments about my "potential" from professors. It was only a few weeks after graduation that I realized how little I really knew and understood about the world. I was so busy reading from my syllabus, doing the work assigned to me, writing essays that answered the prompts in every way possible, etc. that I never really noticed just how narrow the breadth of material we went over was. Besides that, I had trusted my professors to give me objective knowledge and employ critical thinking (wasn't that what they preached?). I wasn't really presented with an acurate picture of "the other side". After two years of pursuing education on my own (and I have taken great pains to entertain all points of view), I hold a very different and more complete world view than I had during my prime in college. And I feel more connected to my understanding as well, like I built it and it wasn't just translated to me from someone else's mind. Honestly, I felt duped and shortchanged about my college experience...

Another thing that bothered me was that I was afraid to do anything at work that I wasn't given explicit directions for. Anything I made a decision to do out of sheer common sense was a potential mistake in uncharted waters, and I was very unsure of myself. I now attribute this to the very active role many of my teachers took in over-explaining their expectations to me and outlining standards and rubrics which spelled out step by step how to achieve and succeed. As a substitute now, I see this is a common thread in classrooms: children striving to gauge and perform to the (sometimes arbitrary and often narrowing) standards of the adults around them. As a student it wasn't about using common sense, or even logic, it was about memorization and completing the outlined task at hand. I was the pinnacle of success in school, and the picture of inferiority in the real world...

I will wait for your posts before I offer any solutions to this problem, as I want to avoid directing the debate.

Your example can be more specific than this, or even about someone else, but I just thought I would start us off...

Thanks!

Danielle

No comments: